Your work at Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, we have over 148 years of experience, serve more than 25 industries, and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities so you can reach your full potential and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. With the support of people like you, we are optimistic about leading the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
To refer an internal employee for this position, please click here to submit your referral’s information.
To refer an external candidate for this position, please leverage the Refer Friend to a Job process.
Zurich North America is Looking for a Construction Casualty Underwriting Manager for the Midwest territory for our National Accounts Division. This position reports to the Head of Construction Casualty for the Midwest and we prefer this position be based in Chicago but are open to Minneapolis as well with business travel expected.
This is a critical leadership position and we are looking for a leader that will manage the san francisco financial plan, execute strategy (growth), drive rate and retention along with cultivating broker/client relationships. This role currently has 6 direct reports who are managing client and broker relationships throughout the San Francisco area
This position is also responsible for ensuring that all key performance metrics are achieved to drive profitability, shifting portfolio mix and developing and executing our go to market strategy to drive new business and retention.
- Managing and leading a team of underwriting professional to execute on the growth strategy and opportunities that align with our Construction Casualty Growth Plans
- Strategy execution in line with underwriting objectives to meet/exceed the financial plan with a focus portfolio management, rate and retention for Construction Casualty
- Managing renewal book of business and driving new strategic relationships
- Internal (Claims, Actuary, Finance, etc.) and External (brokers and clients) stakeholder management
- Establishing key performance targets and financial budgets in order to optimize new business targets
- Helping the team manage the new business pipeline
- Managing relationships with key internal stakeholders in order to identify opportunities for service improvement to ensure commercial viability and customer satisfaction
- Participating in leadership team meetings of assigned area to provide specialist guidance and enable the implementation of policies, projects and change initiatives to produce profitable results
- Contributing to the business growth strategy to align underwriting strategy with wider business goals
- Overseeing development plans for underwriters to ensure the capability exists to drive business results.
- Recommending and implementing action plans after reviewing broker partner books of business and profit/growth results and trends
This role will be filled at the AVP. The hiring manager will determine the appropriate level based upon the selected applicant’s experience and skill set relative to the qualifications listed for this position
AVP Basic Qualifications (7M):
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 7 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area within the Commercial Insurance industry
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 14 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area within the Commercial Insurance industry
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 5 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area within the Commercial Insurance industry
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 12 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area within the Commercial Insurance industry
- 2 or more years of management experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Advanced knowledge Construction Casualty Business
- Ability to leverage existing relationships with Agents, Brokers, internal, and external business partners
- Portfolio Management Experience
- Excellent communication & presentation skills
- Results oriented
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status. EOE disability/vet
Location(s): AM - San Francisco
Remote Working: No
Schedule: Full Time
Hiring Manager name: John Vang
Recruiter name: Jason Johnson
Reward Level: 7M